Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Home Study for Adoption #2!!

I don't know why I let myself get so worked up about things, but today was no exception. I've been through the home study process before (BTW- inside my head, I just said the word process the way the Canadians do... "pro-cess"). I remember getting so wound up for our very first one and then walking away almost feeling disappointed. 

Why do I do this to myself? Must be my personality. Our guy came at 1:00 and from the time I got up, until 12:50 I was cleaning, organizing, double, triple, and quadruple baby-proof checking everything. I guess this time was different because we only have one visit and then that's it. My thoughts were that should he find something wrong, there's not a second time to fix it.

I should have just relaxed and known that it was going to be fine, because it totally was. In fact, it was less invasive and intrusive than when we adopted the first time. We weren't asked any personal questions this time, and no questions about our parenting. Maybe they actually read our biographies and took our written word as being good enough (what a concept!!).

I think John (I think that was his name) was here for maybe thirty minutes. He took a tour of the house, and then we sat down and he took some notes and then he was done. Steve said he was here to check and make sure we have a house. :-)

So that's it. He will write up the official home study report and then get it to us and then we'll contact our attorney and get a copy to him. Then we wait!

It's exciting and fun and I'm glad that this part is over. I said it before (with Gus's adoption) and I'll say it again, the home study is really the most difficult step when adopting domestically. We did all the required documentation, and now the home visit is done. Now all we need is a baby and we're set!!

I was so stressed from yesterday and today that I told Steve he was taking me to dinner tonight. He agreed, and so we went to Outback for dinner. It was delicious and satisfying. There's a Goodwill store in the same plaza, so after dinner, Gus and Steve walked down and I drove my car over and we went inside to see what they had.

I love the Goodwill store. I found some AWESOME deals!!! We got Gus a picnic table for $19!!! We also got him a sit-n-spin for $3, some cones for soccer practice for $2 (8 cones), some tanagrams for $6, a watering can for $1 (his favorite), some beach/sand toys for $2 (brand new), a chair that's exactly like the one at my parents for $3 (it was $45 at a consignment sale that we recently visited) and a few other fun things. 
I'm pretty excited with my finds!!!

Tomorrow, Lesley and I are taking the kids to Imagine It Children's Museum in Atlanta. I'm going to get a membership provided that Gus likes it (I assume he will). I'm eager to see how it is and hope that we have a fun trip!! I'll post pictures tomorrow! Nite!!

2 comments:

Amber said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Hooray! Glad to have it out of the way. I agree with the feeling of disappointment. I mean...we cleaned nooks and crannys...can't they at least open the linen closet or something to see how straight our towels are folded lol!

BTW- Since my adoption blog is not shared with my RL friends/ family... I have separate email/ google/ blogger/ reader accounts. I JUST figured out how to follow you on this account and be able to comment with out switching back and forth! Should make things a lot easier!

MommySquared said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Congrats on getting ready to add to your family and I agree even though you've been down the road before, the homestudy still feels overwhelming ... so happy for you all on this next part of your journey to parenthood!

Post a Comment