Thursday, September 12, 2013

Crack Casserole

Yummmmm

One of our favorite comfort meals is something we call "Crack Casserole." It's called that because once you've had it, you're hooked and want more and more, just as if you were on crack. Tacky title for a recipe? Probably.

Anyway, my good friend Shannon recently texted me and asked for the recipe. Since I make it often, I thought about checking my blog and just sending her the link, but to my surprise, I had not (yet) blogged this recipe. I had just bought the items to make CC this week anyway, so I told her I'd take pics and blog the recipe and send her the link.

I've seen this made with potato chips (instead of french onions) on top too. 

Without further ado, here is the recipe (with step by step pictures) of one of our favorite recipes.

There's the "official" recipe

 I add the 1/4 cup mayo and 1/4 cup sour cream first

 Then I add 3/4 bag of shredded cheese

 Then the 1/2 can of COM soup. **REMEMBER only 1/2 can** I made the mistake of dumping the whole can once and it was way too rich. It's 1/2 can for a reason!

 Then water chestnuts (you can omit if you don't like WCs but they add a really nice crunch to the finished product)

 Roughly five stalks of celery



 Whole Rotisserie Chicken- This one was maple bourbon flavored and was yummy. Original or something hearty would be good- avoid lemon flavored though.

 Start removing all the meat off the RC. My kitties enjoy this part the most. >^..^<

 This is what you'll get off one RC. Then you chop up the meat and add it to the bowl

 Everything's in (except for the Fried Onions)-- you mix with a spoon so everything is evenly mixed

 Put everything in a casserole dish (or glass dish/pan)

 Add a little cheese (not all the remaining cheese-- just a little) and a handful of fried onions

 It bakes for 40 minutes (UNCOVERED)- It'll look like this.


 Then I add the rest of the cheese and the remaining amount of fried onions and bake for another 5 minutes
 After the five minutes are up, remove and let it cool for 10 minutes


Enjoy! You can top it with a dollop of sour cream, add ketchup to it, or just enjoy it as it is.

0 comments:

Post a Comment