Monday, April 10, 2006

Song: Nothing
Mood: Tired and full

What a weekend-
This past Monday Steve got a call from a girl that he went to high school with and found out that one of his good friends, Mindy Jo Toms had passed away suddenly. She was 31 and had sprained her ankle, wasn't feeling good and went to the hospital and found out there was a blood clot. It ended up in her heart and she died during surgery.

We went down to New Paris, OH on Thursday afternoon. We stayed at the Fairfield Inn and checked into the room and then met Steve's dad and his new girlfriend at the Cracker Barrel for dinner. It was nice to see his dad so happy. It still kinda creeps me out that he's already dating someone, but as long as he's happy that's all that matters.

We went from there over to the funeral home for the viewing. There was a line outside and we waited for more than an hour to pay our respects. It was nice to see the people that Steve went to high school with. Mindy's dad was a mess... and got me totally upset because he was just falling apart. It was awful to watch him and try to imagine how he must feel. Everyone that Steve went to high school with was really nice and all seemed excited to see him (he didn't go to his ten year reunion). You could tell that he was considered smart in high school... they all had a lot of respect for him and sincerely seemed happy to see him.

We ended up going to Chili's after to socialize and get some drinks with everyone. It was a lot of fun to see Steve being himself with this group of (to me) strangers. They loved him and all laughed at his jokes and he had fun as well.

Friday was the funeral and it was the saddest thing that I've ever seen. Her dad was breaking down and it was heartwrenching to witness. Her brother talked about her life and shared some stories and he was pretty strong. He played Brown Eyed Girl in her memory and it got me. The gravesite was very sad. Steve was asked to be a pallbearer and he was very honored. Her dad was in agony the entire time and it broke my heart.

After the funeral we went to Cracker Barrel (yes I know we just had dinner there) for lunch and then headed over to see Steve's dad for a bit. The bad weather moved in and we decided to cut the visit short so we could attempt to outrun the storms (no such luck). We got home and watched tv and then went to bed.

Saturday morning I had IRD (International Reunion Day) for AGD. Sara and Holly and I went early to help set up and I ended up buying some super cute stuff. I got to sit next to Jane Graff (she's one of the few women that wears the circle of epsilon pi) and I was so honored! I felt like a nerd but Sara was just as excited to be sitting at the same table as her. She had two other older women that came with her and they were so cute!!! AGD is their life and it's so inspiring to see that even in your old age you can still be apart of AGD!!

Saturday night we went to the Real Seafood Company in Ann Arbor for dinner with my mom, dad and Jim and Bobbie Boljer. I had scallops for an appetizer that were amazing and then steamed lobster for dinner. It was sooooo good!!! My dad got drunk on a bottle of wine and it was fun making fun of him :) He's a good drunk... very mello and happy (like I am when I get drunk).

Sunday was my last EC for Alpha Beta and that took all night. Steve and I watched In Her Shoes (good movie) and Redeye (kinda lame). We've got Saw II and I can't wait to watch it!!

It's time for bed... had an assembly today and I got called up on stage (my kids loved it) and had to play the maraccas... my face was so red... felt like I was on fire. Good times... the things we do for kids!! :)



Post a Comment