Friday, January 05, 2007

Ahhh music...

I don't know about you, but there are some songs that the minute I hear them, I'm taken back to a time in my past. I can remember vivid details about these times, simply by listening to certain songs. Here are a few that bring back memories:

Anything from the Blue album by Weezer- When I hear these songs, I'm taken back to 1994/1995 at MSU walking along the Red Cedar River on campus. I used to carry my cd player with me as I walked to class (this was long before iPods and cell phones with mp3 players built in). Anyway-- play me something from the Blue album and I'm transformed back to MSU.

"Forever Your Girl" by Paula Abdul- When I was a sophomore, my cousin Jessica was a junior and helped me get around Glenn (my high school) by introducing me to some of her friends. One was a guy named Kevin Tomacheski (butchered his last name). I remember driving to downtown Detroit in his red truck so I could see a prostitute (I had never seen a real one on the streets). I remember him blasting Paula Abdul... and this is the song attached to that memory.

"Baby I Got Your Money" by ODB (Old Dirty Bastard)- I think of Spring Break 2000 in Panama City Beach, Florida with Caroline, April, Amy, Andrea, Kati, Jen, Elise, and of course, Gabby. Every bar that we went to played this song, and it became the spring break anthem. Everytime I hear it I think of the wonderous week on Spring Break in Panama.

"Out of the Woods" by Nickle Creek- I had heard of Nickle Creek because my friend Kristen Adamski was obsessed with them. I had never heard any of their music though, until I met Steve. On one of our first dates, he made me a mixed cd, which was funny because I had made him one too, and one of the songs he put on mine was "Out of the Woods." I won't give too many details, but we did spend one evening laying in his bed and we listened to the songs that he put on the cd for me. I will always remember the moment that this one came on, and he started singing it to me. It was very, very sweet. When I want a happy memory-- this is the first song that I play.

"If You're Not The One" by Daniel Benningfield- Now... on the opposite side of a happy memory... this song makes me think of a person that I wanted to be with so badly, but he didn't feel the same about me. He was with someone else while seeing me... and foolishly, I allowed myself to be used. Anyway, at the time, the words to this song were perfect and fit exactly into my world. Thank God that's not the case anymore!

"Epiphany" by Staind- My ex-husband used to play this song and tell me that it was saying exactly how he felt. He went through a transformation of sorts while we were still married, and this song reminds me of how absolutely fucked up things were at the time. I remember listening to this on a mixed cd that I had made for a trip to Phoenix to see Dave. I remember driving on the freeway listening to this and looking at my ex and asking God to help our marriage. When we returned from the trip I moved out and he filed for divorce.

"Pictures of You" by The Cure- This song makes me think of Jason Schrock. He was a guy that when I was in junior high I dated his brother Ryan. Actually, Ryan was my first love. He ended up dumping me the night of the 9th grade dance, because I was just a 7th grader and didn't want to be seen with me. Talk about a heartbreak. A year or so later, I ended up befriending his younger brother Jason. We "dated" for a month or so and then their family moved to South Lyon. Thinking that I'd never see them again right... wrong. I end up seeing Jason at a basketball game (Glenn vs South Lyon) while I was cheering. He recognized me and we ended up spending the night talking and laughing. We hooked back up at Rainbow (Catholic youth conference)... and I decided to end things with Andy and start seeing Jason. I had a picture of him... anyway, long story short, when I tried to break up with Andy, things went wrong (as they always seemed to) and he and I stayed together, but he made me rip up the picture of Jason. When I hear "Pictures of You" that's what I think about.

"Stray Cat Strut" by The Stray Cats- Makes me think of the vacation that my family took out west to see the Grand Canyon, Yellowstone, Glacier National Park and then we went and saw Dave (he was at Camp Pendleton for Marine basic training). My Uncle Ron was cuddling up to my Aunt Karen and he made a cat paw and hissed... it was funny. Anyway, I saw it and so did Scott and then we became "Top Cats" and our salute was the paw and hiss... and this song became our anthem. Silly I know.

Room For Squares (Entire CD)- This was the cd that was playing as I drove to Steve's for our first date. I ended up missing the exit and panicked, but he calmed me down and it was just amazing. Anyway-- when I hear songs from this cd I am instantly taken back to the day of our first date. I can recall the nervousness... and anticipation and excitement to finally see him! We had been e-mailing and IMing and talking on the phone for a month or so and I just couldn't wait to finally meet him in person. I knew that he was the one... I just needed to get there and see him. I was instantly comfortable with him, and didn't want to leave. Our date was 24 hours long and I remember not wanting to leave... he kissed me on the cheek before I left and I think it was like 15 minutes later I called him from the M-14 and Ford Road exit to tell him that I was thinking of him and couldn't get the grin off my face. :)

"Nineteen Something" by Mark Wills- This song was playing on the car radio as Steve and I headed off to church on our very first date.

"Make You Love Me" by Bonnie Raitt- What a song. Andy and I celebrated our first anniversary in Grand Rapids. He had this whole thing planned for months... before things started to go sour. Anyway, from the day that we left it was bad (he told me that people at work were teasing him and Angie about being together)... anyway, the weekend was awkward and sad. We used to go to my parent's cottage up in Reed City often, and while driving up we'd pass the Thornapple River and the cool golf course that's right on the river. I always wanted to golf that course. Well... for our anniversary we did. When we left, I had this awful feeling in the pit of my stomach that things were never going to be the same (and they weren't). This song was on as we drove back to Ypsi. I remember sitting there with tears running down my cheeks as I listened to the words. It was 100% true and very, very sad. When we got back to Ypsi, I remember him telling me that he had doubts before we got engaged and even bigger doubts before we got married. Which made me so sad because as a friend, if someone told me they were having doubts, I'd NEVER let them get married. Way to listen to his instincts... it could have saved so much pain and hurt.

That's enough for tonight... maybe I'll do this again sometime soon. Hope you enjoyed...

>^..^<

0 comments:

Post a Comment