Monday, July 09, 2012

Big Boy Bed

Yesterday, we put Gus down for his afternoon nap and he was definitely fighting us on it. He was up in his room singing and jumping. Steve got on the video monitor and told him to lay down. He complied for about two minutes and then was back up again.

Steve looked again, and he was out of his crib and IN HIS CLOSET. Again, Steve got on the monitor and told Gus to get in bed. He climbed back into his crib and laid down, and we assumed he'd be going to sleep (FINALLY).

We were wrong.

About ten minutes later, we heard a really loud crash and then Gus crying. We both ran up the stairs and opened his door and found him on the floor crying, and his dresser completely tipped over. That sucker is HEAVY!!

Thankfully Gus wasn't hurt, but we're sure he was trying to climb it, and that's what knocked it over. We decided that a nap wasn't going to happen and we brought him back downstairs.

We talked last night about moving him to his new room with his big boy bed. He's been interested in his room for a while, but never committed to sleeping in there. We decided against putting him to bed in there, and thankfully, because he didn't get a nap, he crashed and was asleep by 8pm.

So this afternoon, when it was nap time, I asked him if he wanted to sleep in his crib or his big boy bed. He looked at me like he didn't understand what I was asking. I asked again, if he wanted to sleep in his crib, or his dino bed. He said, "Dino bed" and so I took him out of the crib. He ran up the hall to his room, and I grabbed the fan, the baby monitor (not the video monitor) and his radio with his iPod.

I set everything up while he climbed into his dino bed. He was so excited. I tucked him in and went to leave and he started to cry.

Oi Vey!!

I knew that me being in there was going to keep him awake, but I didn't want to leave him in there crying either. So I moved closer to the door every few minutes and I wasn't talking to him. He eventually ignored me and went about his business. When I got up and walked out the door, he didn't seem to care.

He was singing for a while. He has no toys in there, so there wasn't anything for him to do (when he's used to his room, we'll move his bookcase in there). I wasn't hearing anything on the monitor... so I needed to check which setting it was on... back up I went.

This is what I saw when I opened the door:

He was sitting up and looking at me. I fixed the monitor (it was on the wrong setting from the two downstairs). I kissed him goodnight and came downstairs.

About thirty mintues passed and I wasn't hearing anything but his music, so I went up to check and this is the beautiful sight that beheld my eyes:

He did it. He fell asleep in his dino bed. I know that not every nap or bedtime will be this easy, but for a first effort, it's incredible. I am so proud and yet, a little sad. 

His crib is the bed he's been in since he was three months old. To know that he's outgrown it is bittersweet. I'm proud that he's a big boy and has transitioned to his big boy room, but I miss my baby. I know that his crib will serve another baby well (someday in the future). It's been a wonderful phase of Gus's life and I'm proud to have been here to help him move into the next phase of development.

Next up... potty training. I'm not sure we're ready for that, but it'll be here sooner than I realize. He is growing so quickly!!! I wish I could freeze time!!


Post a Comment