Sunday, August 12, 2012

Sunday Funday!

Colored Rice in our Sensory Bin

This morning Gus was a little cranky. It was a bit of a challenge to keep him content all morning long, so I decided to use the time to dye some rice and pasta for our sensory table. We also made some cookies.

I found a few recipes for dying rice with food coloring, but they called for rubbing alcohol and we didn't have any, so instead I searched for dying rice with vinegar and found a few different ways. I made the first batch with purple and it called for too much vinegar (1 cup of rice and 1/4 cup of vinegar with a few drops of coloring).

Then I decided to use less vinegar and it was just what I needed (I did two tablespoons of vinegar to one cup of rice and a bunch of coloring).Gus was ready and eager to help me and it instantly boosted his mood. :-)
Helping to dump the cup of rice into the gallon bag

Adding the food coloring

Ready to shake!!
 
He was doing a great job helping!!

Shaking the yellow

After a few times he knew what to do and I didn't have to help!

Crazy shaking!!

After we dyed the rice, we dyed some pasta (uncooked). We followed the same procedure as above.

While our rice and pasta was sitting (it's recommended that it sit in the bag for about 30-60 minutes to set), we decided to bake some cookies. I pulled over the tot tower and Gus got inside and he was ready to start helping with the cookies!!
Dumping the cookie mix into the bowl

Adding the butter

Mixing the dough

Ready to put into the oven!

By the time we were done making cookies, it was time for a nap. Gus was not happy about having to go for a nap, but he was really in need. He ended up sleeping until 6:15!! I had to go up and wake him and he was in a deep sleep. 

When he came downstairs, he was so excited to see what new bin was at the sensory table!
The rice sat for a few hours and dried

In the bin and ready for Gus to discover it!

So pretty!

Here's the pasta-- green bowties

Blue twisty

Purple shells

Here are some pictures of Gus discovering the new rice bin and playing for a bit before dinner.
Hmmmm... I wonder what's under the lid...

He literally said, "Ohhh!!" :-D


It didn't stay pretty for long...





He loved mixing it up with his hands and feeling the rice!




Fun at the sensory table!




Later this week we're going to play with baking soda and vinegar... should be loads of fun!! I'll be sure to take pictures and post them!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment