Thursday, December 05, 2013

A Month of Gratitude: Day 27

Day 27: Being Present for my Mom's Birthday

We were quite fortunate this year that Thanksgiving was later in the month and not a week sooner. You see, my mom's birthday is November 27th and some years her birthday and Thanksgiving are very close together. Other years, Thanksgiving is up to four days before her birthday.

Since we were traveling to Indiana and Michigan for Thanksgiving, I was thankful that we'd be able to celebrate my mom's 67th birthday with her.

We started the day by going to the movies. We went and saw Frozen and both Gus and Hugh liked it. I think my mom enjoyed it more than my dad, but I'm just thankful that my dad went.





After the movie, my mom and I went to Meijer to get groceries for Thanksgiving and the day after. We had a nice afternoon together and it was so great to just spend time by ourselves. I miss her more than anything and miss the times when she and I would just go shopping and spend time talking and enjoying the time together.

Every year, I try to get my mom something special for her birthday. Some years I've done better than others, and this year I found a beautiful handmade cross at our church's holiday craft fair. Not only was it an awesome cross, but all the money benefits the various ministries of my church, so it was a win-win. I think she liked it. I hope so anyway.

We went to the Olive Garden for dinner to celebrate my mom's birthday and Fr. Terry's birthday as well. It was a great dinner and we had an enjoyable night celebrating the births of two wonderful people.


0 comments:

Post a Comment