Saturday, March 03, 2012

A Year of Gratitude #62

A Year of Gratitude #62: Grandma Ghrist's Milkshakes


When I was a kid, we'd go over to my grandparents' house and have dinner with them on a weekly basis. Every Saturday was dinner with them (usually pizza) and we'd always ask if we could spend the night. We lived less than a mile from them, and it was very convenient for us to just stay.

My Grandma Ghrist ALWAYS said, "Ask your mother." when we'd ask if we could spend the night. She NEVER said no... and I don't remember my parents ever saying no. 

Spending the night at her house was ALWAYS a treat. Seriously. We would stay up playing cards... either Go Fish or Old Maid. We would read together, watch television together, and laugh. But the greatest thing about staying the night there was that she would make us the most delicious vanilla milkshakes.

She had the blender holder built into her counter (does that make sense?). She'd just open the metal cover and put the blender pitcher onto the blender part. She always added vanilla extract and Karo syrup, milk, and vanilla bean ice cream. That was it. 

I don't know how she did it, but everything that we liked that she made, she ALWAYS had on hand to make for us. I don't remember her ever not having something and needing to get it from the store. She was ALWAYS prepared for anything.

I decided to get some vanilla ice cream and make shakes for us. Steve wanted Oreos in his... and while he liked it, he said it was too sweet. I made mine according to how it's SUPPOSED to be made and hoped that it would taste close to how my Grandma's shakes tasted.

Not only did it takes incredibly close, it even smelled the same (I think it's the Karo syrup). It brought back so many happy memories and made me shed a tear. Gus was only allowed a few sips... but he approved as well. I'm eager to see what kind of things my mom and Sue Ann make for my kids when they start spending alone time with them. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment