Monday, July 23, 2012

Our Sensory Table

The finished sensory table

When Gus was a little more than a year old, I found a website full of fun ideas for SAHMs to do with their kids. A huge number of ideas revolved around a sensory table. Being an educator, I was somewhat aware of what sensory tables were, but I have zero experience with pre-k kiddos, so I wasn't 100% sure of what you can do with one. 

Bring in Pinterest and tons of available pins/websites on things to do with a sensory table and I instantly wanted one. I asked my dad if he'd be willing/able to make one for me and he said he would. So for a long time, I wanted one, but wasn't sure when he'd make it and how he'd get it here. When they came down for the Fourth of July, I knew it would be a perfect time to bring it up with my dad.

He said he could make it while he was here. Perfect! The only thing was that it was SO INCREDIBLY hot!! I didn't want him to have to be outside in the high 90s working on a table. He assured me that he was okay with building it while it was hot, and he'd just take frequent breaks and do it over the course of the week.

It took him like a day to make it. He built it, my job was to prime it and paint it. Because it was so hot last weekend, I didn't even consider it. This weekend, it was in the 80s, so I figured it was as good a time as ever to get to work.

On Saturday, I sanded and primed, and then on Sunday I painted. It turned out awesome and Gus LOVES it!!!

My dad building it

In the process of coming together

Ready to be primed

Priming the top

Ready to paint the bottom

Ready to paint the top

Finished painting!
 
It had to sit and dry, but it didn't take long at all. We got some glider things for the legs so it won't scratch up the floor. Then we brought it in and put it into the kitchen. It's close to the sink so I can easily rinse things as needed.

I put the beans into the new bin and I dumped the cloud dough that I got from my Busy Bag Swap back in May. Gus was thrilled!
We moved his kitchen stuff into the living room to make room for the table

Beans on the left and cloud dough on the right


Covered the bins with their lids

When Gus opened the lid he said, "Ohhhhh!"

Such a happy boy!




Not happy that it was time to stop because it was dinner time!




When Gus came downstairs this morning, the first thing that he did was go to the sensory table. I think we have a winner!! This table will last for a really long time! The best part is there's a top for it and can be used as a regular table as well!!

Thanks again Dad for building such a wonderful thing for our family!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment