Tuesday, May 03, 2011

Day 123


What a day. I could have slept for another two or three hours... but Gus had enough sleep and was ready to go. We came downstairs and played for a little bit. We shared a bagel and I watched tv while he played. He got cranky around 10 so we went up and I put him down for a nap. He didn't actually fall asleep until almost 11.

He took a nap that was about an hour and a half long, and then he got up and we had some lunch. I had thought about going grocery shopping, but he woke up from his nap too close to lunch for me to go. He had some hummus, whole wheat tortilla, turkey stix, and some apple sauce oatmeal. He ate all of it and seemed happy. He also drank about three ounces of white grape cherry juice and loved it.








 

He's such a little hambone. When I get my camera out, he instantly starts smiling (hehehe) and then squints his eyes because of the flash. It trips him up when I go from auto to manual and don't use a flash.

This afternoon was just like this morning... playing. laughing, and napping. He took a nap just before Steve came home, and ended up napping for over two hours. Dinner was ready and Gus was still asleep... so I heard him moving around and Steve went up to get him. WELL... he wasn't ready to be up and was a beast. He didn't want to eat his dinner, and instead, we gave him some formula in this sippy after he had tried to eat carrots, mashed potatoes, and chicken.

I tutored tonight, so Gulbike and her mom came at 7 and Gus was already in a mood. Thankfully, he was very happy and social when they were here. Gulbike and I went to the FROG while Steve and Gus played downstairs and Gulbike's mom played with Gus too. It was the easiest $20 to make... I love it. I dread tutoring all day before it's time, but when I'm actually doing it, it's the best.  :)

Steve put Gus to bed and I'm so tired. I wrote about this in Gus's blog for today, but it's so funny how much things can change in a year. A year ago tonight, my cousin Jessica sent me a message on Facebook with her cell and asked me to call her. I had no idea what it was about, and we were out to eat at Outback in Michigan with my parents, Scott, Christie, Alex, and Lily. When we got to the car, I called Jessica and she told me that Sharon's niece (C) was pregnant and wanted Steve and I to be the parents of the baby. She didn't know much else, but she said the baby was due at the end of May.

The whirl-wind started that night as we talked about the craziness of the situation, what we'd do for an attorney, what if it didn't work out, did they want to meet us, how much was it going to cost, was it a boy or girl, was there a birth father, was everyone on board, was this really going to happen? 

We celebrated quietly and were so excited to have a potential match. Steve said he had a feeling it'd be something like that, but I thought it was all surreal. I expected our adoption to follow the typical examples... the birth mom would contact CAS, see our profile book, CAS would call us and we would arrange a meeting... then if they liked us, we'd maybe meet again... and then when it was time, we'd get the call to go meet our baby. This was NOTHING like that.

It's even crazier to think that a week from that night (May 3, 2010) we got the call that C was in labor. We have tickets to opening night of Hair at the DPAC on Tuesday. A year ago, we had awesome tickets to the last game to be played at the Durham Athletic Park... I don't forsee anything crazy happening next week. :)

I know I say it all the time, but I feel so lucky to be Gus's mom. He's an amazing little person and I feel so honored to have been chosen to be his mom. 

>^..^<

0 comments:

Post a Comment