Thursday, November 24, 2011

Day 328- HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!


Thanksgiving 2010
Thanksgiving 2011

Yes- today is Thanksgiving! The one day a year that I make a feast and don't mind doing it all myself. I always say, "I WISH I had a double-oven... it'd make Thanksgiving so much easier!!" And a double-oven was on my "must-have" list in a new house... but that didn't happen. Neither did the pool or the screened porch. Hmmmmm....

This morning I got up (a little after 8) and we watched the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. I talked to my mom and dad on the phone, and Gus got to wish them a Happy Turkey Day. :-)  He loves talking on the phone... however, he tries to press buttons and sometimes hangs up on people. 
Steve took these pictures of Gus carrying in the paper... Gus is at a stage where he REALLY wants to help with things. It's best to guide him and let him help (even if it's not really being helpful in the long-run).


I decided to run to Harris Teeter to get a few things for today... among them was stuff to make my Grandma Ghrist's Special Green Salad. I'm not sure why it's called a salad since it's not lettuce and tomato... maybe she called it salad to make us kids think we were eating something healthy. Not sure, but I do know it's a tradition to have this at holidays and I've never made it here in NC. 

Channeling my Grandma Ghrist

While shopping for the Cool Whip, I saw the Puff Pastry Shells and immediately thought of my Grandma again. Every year, with the left over turkey, gravy and mashed potatoes, we'd go to her house for "shells." Basically, you take the shells and bake them as directed on the box, then you take the turkey and gravy and heat them together into a thick sauce... and then you stuff the shell with mashed potatoes and dump the turkey goo ontop. It's so yummy!!

I can only enjoy turkey so many days/nights in a row, so I got some ham (lunch meat) for us too. :-)

I got home and hung out with Steve and Gus for a bit before Gus went down for his nap.


After Gus's nap (he took another three hour nap) I tired to give him something to eat, but he wasn't hungry. He had a piece of cheese and a few bites of apple, but refused to even try the potatoes (the same ones that he LOVED the other night for dinner). He's so picky sometimes.

Anyway, when Steve brought him down from his nap, he was wrapped up like a burrito in his blanket. It was so cute. Then when he was having lunch, he wanted to keep the blanket on him... I think he needs a Snuggie for Christmas.


















 
He took his arm out long enough to put food into his mouth

Then his arm was back inside the blanket!






Gus is doing a GREAT job of drinking from a cup without spilling!


I started the turkey process after Gus was finished...
Nibbled on some shrimp while making dinner ;-)

The turkey still in the brine

The oven bag... waiting with open arms to snuggle with the bird

One last look at the bird in the brine

The turkey had soaked up a lot of the color from the brine (brown sugar, teriyaki and OJ)

Upside-down and in the oven bag ready to bake!

It only took two hours to bake (it was only eight pounds)

Right-side up and coming out of the bag (I cook it upside down so the juices collect in the breast that's on the bottom)

OOOPSIES!!! I forgot to remove the gibbet bag...

It's not the prettiest looking turkey by any stretch...


But my goodness... this was the JUICIEST turkey that I've ever had!!

That's straight from being carved... no juice/gravy added... it was soooooooo yummy!


Here are pictures of a few of the other goodies that we had at our table:
Grandma Ghrist's Special Green Salad

Green Bean Casserole

Mashed Potatoes (and gravy)

We had a very nice last Thanksgiving here in NC. It could have been better if it was spent with our family, but we'll aim for that for next year. :-)

Here are a few more pictures from tonight:
He went straight for the green salad...



My plate...

Sign of a GREAT dinner!



Tubby Time!


He put his face into the bubbles to create a beard!


Checking to see if everything is still where it should be...  ;)

I am so very thankful for Gus in my life. His birth parents will never know how thankful I am to them, for choosing life and choosing to trust us to be the people we said we were on our online profile. They made a decision to allow us to parent their baby, and in doing so, trusted that we'd give him all that they had ever dreamed he'd have. I'd like to think that we're doing a fantastic job with this.

Each day, I tell Gus how much I love him. I tell him what I like about him, I give him lots and lots of hugs, kisses, praise, and support. I have vowed to never take him for granted and to always live life to the fullest with him. Looking at pictures of him from a year ago, it's striking how very quickly he's growing up. 

There are so many things about Gus that I love. Today he decided to swim in the tub for the first time. He was excited to discover that he doesn't have to just sit in the water, but he can actually lay down in it! This new discovery sparked joy, laughter, and excitement from Gus and it was contagious. Steve and I watched him and laughed and clapped and joined in the fun. I'm thankful for the moments like that, where I get to experience him discovering something wonderful about his world. 








Gobble! Gobble!

0 comments:

Post a Comment