Saturday, March 17, 2012

A Year of Gratitude #74

A Year of Gratitude #74: Cuddle Days

Don't get me wrong... I love having a busy schedule and love having people to see and do things with. However, I absolutely love days that we don't have any plans. We still stick to a schedule, but our day is so much more relaxed and fun. 

I love the days where Gus gets up from his nap and we snuggle for a bit before I make us some popcorn to share while watching a movie. Gus doesn't sit still long enough to enjoy a movie, but he starts off in my lap and it makes me happy to have the snuggle time with him.

A friend of mine, when I first met her, told me to enjoy the times when Gus will let me hold him and cuddle with him, because her son refuses to let her cuddle/snuggle. I believe, he was probably close to Gus's current age (maybe a little older).

The thought scares me. I hate to think that there will be a time when Gus doesn't want to be held, cuddled, comforted, and loved on. I dread him getting older, yet I know it's inevitable. 

Everyone tells me that it just gets harder from here on out. Each day will get more and more challenging with the worst being the teen years. I hope they're wrong. I pray that Gus loves me and Steve throughout his youth, young adulthood, and adulthood. 

I have a former student who gives me hope. He is 17 and LOVES his mama. He's a cool kid, always has been, and his mom and dad are way too cool as well. I adore their entire family. Their son, while I'm sure he gets annoyed (as all teenagers do), is a good kid. No drinking or drugs, is a star swimmer, and a great student. He is my inspiration that not ALL kids grow up to hate their parents, rebel, or cause problems.

My mom and dad always used to say, "I hope you have a child just like you..." to us kids when we were younger. I'm praying that Gus IS just like me. I never skipped school, never did drugs or drank in HS, never hated my parents, and was an all-around good kid. Steve was the same way.

So while the future is unknown, I will continue to enjoy the days where all Gus and I have to do is play, laugh, eat, drink, nap, and enjoy being together.

0 comments:

Post a Comment