Saturday, March 17, 2012

A Year of Gratitude #76

A Year of Gratitude #76: Open Adoption 

I know I've used Open Adoption as a thing to be grateful for before, but I had a situation arise and I was able to get some critical information, simply because of our open adoption.

Gus woke up with a bloody nose on Friday. I mean, his sheets were covered in blood, and there was blood all over his face and pajamas. It was scary, but not the first time that this has happened. I knew to look at his nose this time (last time I had no idea what was causing the blood) and saw that it was bloody.

We had not put the humidifier on for him and I think his room was just too dry. Anyway, I texted Steve and told him that Gus had a bloody nose again and that it was not thick, but like bloody snot, and was continuing. I said if it didn't stop, I'd have to call the doctor and take him in.

That being something that could happen, I decided that I should ask Peggi and Lisa about bloody noses running on either side of the family. I assumed a doctor would ask that question, so it was worth it for me to find out beforehand.

I am so thankful that I was able to send them both a text about it, and get an immediate answer about it. Yes, Gus has nose bleeds on BOTH sides of his family. Peggi suggested we put Vaseline in his nose... while Lisa suggested something not as familiar-- raw bacon up his nose. LOL.

Either way, Gus's nose stopped bleeding before napping at 2:00 and woke up without another bloody nose. He hasn't had a bloody nose since 1:00 Friday afternoon.

I'm thankful that we have such a great relationship with his side of our family and that I can just send a text to ask questions. If we didn't have an open adoption, that's the kind of thing that I'd have to just try and figure out on my own, and it'd be forever a mystery if he has nosebleeds in his genes.

Some people don't get open adoption... in fact, MANY don't. But I don't care about them... I'm so grateful that we have one and it makes getting questions answered so much easier. Both grandmas were grateful to hear that Gus was okay and both sent their love to Gus.

We are so lucky to have such a wonderful adoption.

1 comments:

TTABaby said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I hope he is OK! A reoccurring bloody nose can be so scary!

I'm thankful that I'm able to see the beauty in open adoption. This story made me smile and realize that maybe the texting isn't so bad. Deep breaths :)

Post a Comment