Friday, March 23, 2012

A Year of Gratitude #83

A Year of Gratitude #83: Antibiotics and Pediatricians

So last night was the worst night so far with Gus. He was screaming at like 4am and didn't stop crying until after 5:30. He was miserable, we were miserable, and Steve oh so kindly (sarcasm) suggested that I call the pediatrician this morning and see about getting him an appointment.

So I called as soon as they opened and they said they could get him in at 9:40. He didn't eat much of anything for breakfast... and wasn't thirsty. His body felt HOT to the touch and I was certain that he had a fever. When they took his temp, it was 99.5... much lower than I had expected.

I should back up a bit... I actually went to the wrong pediatrician!! I walked in and signed in at Pediatrics of Johns Creek and they were so kind. When the girl at the front asked who the patient was, I said, "Gus Walker for 9:40" and she said, "Are you sure it's with Pediatrics of Johns Creek and not Johns Creek Pediatrics?" I realized that I made a HUGE mistake. She said it wasn't a big deal and people went to the wrong office all the time. DUH. And to make it worse, both offices are in suite 150!!

Anyway, I finally got to the right one and after completing a book of info... we got to go into a room. Gus was weighed and at his November (18 month) appointment, he weighed 26 pounds. Today, he weighed 28. He's in the 59th% for weight. Then they did his height. In November he was 33 inches tall and today he was 35 inches (81st%).

Dr. Bear came in and she was super nice. She listened to his chest and said there was nothing alarming, and his lungs sounded clear. Then she checked his ears and immediately said, "Oh... there it is! He's got an ear infection! Lots of inflammation there." Then she checked the other ear and said, "Lucky boy! You've got a double ear infection!"

She gave him a prescription for Amoxicillin and said he should start feeling better by the second dose. She said he's probably had it for a while and it reached the peak last night. She said he probably has had cold after cold, but that it's a good thing because it helps build up his immune system.

We were on our way after being there for an hour. I got his prescription filled, did the weekly grocery shopping and headed home. We had lunch and I put Gus down for his nap and when he woke up...(only an hour later) he was MISERABLE. He was screaming and crying and wouldn't stop. It broke my heart to hear him in pain and not be able to do anything for him.

He let me hold him and rock him and he fell asleep in my arms. It made me cry... another reminder that I am a mom and have always wanted to be a mom. He is only little once, and the moments where he needs me make me melt. I decided to take him downstairs to our room and he and I snuggled for about a half hour and then he was ready to be up and playing.

Here are some pictures of him playing this afternoon:

By the time bedtime rolled around, he seemed to be feeling better. I am so grateful for antibiotics and pediatricians and that we live close to medial attention. I'm thankful that I have medical insurance and I can take my child to the doctor, just to be sure that he's okay. I could see how someone without insurance would decide to not take their child to the doctor. Had I not taken him, he'd be in pain, and suffering with a double ear infection. I am so grateful that I have so much.


A Family of Love said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Hope he is feeling better soon! Ear Infections are no fun. Our little man had one(his first one) about a month ago.

Post a Comment