Monday, November 11, 2013

A Month of Gratitude: Day 11

Day 11: Being an American




Today is Veterans Day.

It's always on days like today and Memorial Day, that I pause a little more and reflect on what sacrifices people have made to allow me to have the freedoms that I have.

I'm grateful to have been born in this country when I was born. Not only because of all the things that were paved before me and allow me to enjoy today, but because I'm truly blessed to have been born in 1976.

On one hand, my generation has seen the US engage in some type of wartime activity since 1983 (Grenada). I remember my older brother joining the Marines and being so scared that he'd be going to the Middle East with the Gulf War in 1990.

On the other hand, I've never experienced a Presidential assassination, or a Civil Rights leader being assassinated, or a man running for President being assassinated. I feel like the 60s-70s were rough times and I'm thankful that I never had to live through such a tumultuous time.

I watched the movie "The Impossible." If you've never seen it, it's definitely worth watching. I can't help but feel for the people of the Philippines. Typhoon Haiyan  hit the islands on Friday and has caused more than 10,000 deaths. They say the count is rising and the people are begging for help. I couldn't help but think about the movie and how agonizing it was to watch the mother and son try to find the rest of their family after the 2004 Indian Ocean Tsunami. 

I'm grateful to have been born in the US. It's really out of your control where you'll come from and what your family will be like. I was born in Michigan and never had to worry about major natural disasters or earthquakes. I can't imagine what it must be like to lose everything you know and love, and to be without food or water or shelter. I am blessed.

I'm thankful to have been born in this country. A place where freedom rings and everyone can argue about politics and religion and not be stoned to death for it. I'm able to wear whatever I want and no one will hurt me because of it. I can turn on a light with my phone, I can search the web however I'd like, and I can walk to a variety of rooms in my home and get clean water. I am so blessed and so fortunate.

I'm proud of be an American. I watched the news tonight and saw many military men and women boarding planes to head to the Philippines to help with the relief effort. They'll be going to help others on my behalf. These men and women wear a uniform and represent all that's great about our country. They put their lives on the line to protect my freedoms. I am so incredibly grateful for their service.

I am proud to be a citizen of a country that helps others. A country that gives aid and provides safety to those in need. I am so proud of be an American and so thankful to all who have served.

0 comments:

Post a Comment