Tuesday, November 12, 2013

A Month of Gratitude: Day 12

Day 12: My Home 



It's always on days like today and tomorrow, that I shudder to think of all the people who are homeless and have no shelter for warmth.

It's COLD outside. I live in the South and it's cold, I can't imagine how cold it is everywhere else. It's freezing cold, but I'm toasty warm inside. I'm dry, I have a full belly thanks to Pizza Hut, and I am comfortable. In a few minutes I'll go brush my teeth and head to my big, warm, comfortable bed.

There are people all over the country who will fall asleep tonight on cement.


There are people going to spend hours awake because the hunger pangs are too much to bear and they cannot rest.



I am so grateful for all that I have. My home is beautiful, it's large, and spacious, and it contains all the things that I own. It's in a safe neighborhood and I am surrounded by trustworthy neighbors. I know if something were to happen, there are police that drive through my subdivision each night to check and keep watch. There are fire stations near me and a hospital just down the street. I am surrounded by restaurants, grocery stores, and gas stations. I want for nothing. I am incredibly blessed.




A home is something that many people take for granted. Shelter is one of our basic needs and with the recession and people losing jobs all over, homes are often things that are taken back. This leaves people homeless.

I am thankful for my warm house on this really cold night. I'm grateful to be able to go and get warm without much effort on my part.

I'm thankful that my friends and family are also warm and sheltered.
 
 

0 comments:

Post a Comment