Saturday, March 19, 2011

Happy Birthday Aunt Margie!!!

Okay, so growing up, my Aunt Margie was the coolest person that I knew. She's my mom's younger sister and was the most wonderful aunt to ever live. I wanted to be just like her when I grew up and thought the world of her. I still do. She's amazing and I hope my nieces and nephews look at me with the kind of wonder and awe that I have when I think about my Aunt Margie.

When we were little, we'd go to her house all the time. I swear we spent the night there all the time. It was always fun. She let us play dress up with her clothes, she let us put on her make-up and look like clowns, and she never yelled at us. She was the most fun.

In the summer, she'd have sleep-overs at her house and invite other kids from her neighborhood to come over. I remember spending the night in a gigantic tent once. She was cool, funny, and always made us happy.

She was always happy to have us come over for dinner and she would make grilled chicken and would ALWAYS burn it... it was "char-grilled feathers" as my dad would say. She made a mean mustard potato salad that to this day is untouched by anyone I know (yummmmmm). 

She took us to the lake several times during the summer... and we'd spend the whole day there just having fun and enjoying the water. I can't express how awesome she is to have as an aunt, so you'll just have to trust me.  :)

My Aunt Margie grew up with my mom and Uncle Bill and they lived in Arizona. She was a cheerleader and FFA princess. She's very pretty and was probably pretty popular in school. She has three children, Brandon (he's a couple years younger than me), Corey (he's the middle child and just came to NC with his wife Heather for a visit), and Derek (he lives in France).

When I got married (the starter wedding), I asked her to be one of my bridesmaids. I know she didn't really want to be in my wedding, and she kept saying she was too old. But I really wanted her to be in my wedding and I basically begged her and she agreed. It meant so much to me that she'd put aside her own feelings, just to be in my wedding and support me. That's the kind of person that she is.
Once, when I was working with her at the podiatry office with my Uncle Daryl (her husband), she had these AWESOME dark denim jeans on. I told her how much I loved them and how great they looked on her. Without hesitation, she gave me $50 and told me to go to the mall and get myself a pair. I told her I couldn't... but she insisted. She let me leave the office (while I was working) to go get the jeans. I can't wear them anymore, but I still have them. When I see them in my closet, I think about her and how generous she's always been.

I think the reason I love her so much is because she always treated me like I was her own daughter. She loved me and kissed me, and always made sure I was happy. She did the same with both of my brothers, and I'm pretty sure, they think of her with the same admiration and love that I do.

I had the fortune of working with her at the office back in 1995. I worked along side her for five years and they were wonderful. I spent lunch breaks walking with her and talking about various things in my life, I ate lunch with her at the office, we went shopping together, and I was able to really get close to her. I cherish the memories of working along side her as some of the best. She made each day fun and it was enjoyable to go to work while working with her. She's a great boss. Very fair, respectful, and caring. I've never had another boss like her.

Here are some pictures of my Aunt Margie throughout her life:
On the left and then my mom is in the middle and my Uncle Bill is on the right


With Brandon

With Corey as a baby and Brandon
With my Aunt Fran and Uncle Herb and Brandon (Aunt Fran was my Grandma Burney's sister)

Sitting on Grandma Burney's lap (her mom)

At her house when we were reunited with my Aunt Karen and Uncle Tom

Mom, Grandma, Aunt Mary (bottom), Aunt Margie and Aunt Helen

At Megan's Baptism
At my starter wedding's rehearsal BBQ (June 1, 2001)

She lives in MI and has a lot of farm animals. Whenever we go to MI, we usually try to see her if we can. One time we went when Dave's family was in town and we stopped by her house so Eamon and Aine could see the sheep.


When we were in MI for Gus's adoption, she called me up and asked if she could come by the hotel to see Gus. It was so great to see her and be able to introduce my son to my favorite aunt.
So here's to her birthday and that she be around for many, many more. I hope that her children and now grandchild know how amazing she is, and always remember that she rocks!!

Happy birthday Aunt Margie!!!
:D

0 comments:

Post a Comment