Thursday, June 30, 2011

The Exception (Not the Rule)

The last post for June

I've come to learn that the way I think and feel about things, and my views on the world are the exception and not the rule. It's a hard thing to realize, but once I've figured it out, it's made things somewhat easier for me to deal with.

For example, not everyone listens to the news, or current events. I don't know of too many people my age, that listen to talk radio at night. I probably wouldn't be so addicted to it if it weren't for Steve. I love my sleep machine and nature sounds... but I do look forward to the top of each hour when the news comes on and I can hear what's happening in the world at that moment.

Another thing is the relationship that Steve and I have with each other. I do think we argue and fight less than most married couples. The way we both let things slide off our backs (not all things... but most) isn't something that most people do. He and I both went through extremely difficult, ugly, sad, miserable divorces. We were both married to people that neglected us, took advantage of us, and didn't appreciate us. Our former spouses cheated on us, and left both of us for the person that they cheated on us with. We have a lot in common in this area, and I think because we both went through pure hell, to find each other has been something conducted by God. We don't take each other for granted and we don't sweat the small things.

This post isn't to put myself above anyone, or anyone below me. It's a simple realization that not everyone is like me. As Wendy said the other day, "Not everyone sees things as we do." She's totally right. The older I get, the more I realize my views are not the "norm." Heck, I'll even say my intelligence isn't the "norm." Not that I'm being a snob (I'm really not), but I think I have a lot of knowledge that I have always considered to be "common knowledge" that isn't so common. It doesn't hurt that my parents are both bright, my brothers are both super intelligent, and I'm married to the smartest person that I've ever met. What I've always viewed as "normal" just isn't. The conversations that I have with my family members, aren't what most families talk about. The things that Steve and I share with each other, not like other couples.

Tonight I said to Steve, "I wish I wasn't so judgmental." I need to work on this because I really do view what others do, and I analyze it and usually think that my views are the best for it. Thankfully my mouth and brain aren't wired to work together, and things in my head DO NOT come out as words... but if you were inside my head, you'd be amazed at the things that I think.

Facebook is the worst. I read status updates and I want to say things... but I don't. I play the game "Who Wants to be a Millionaire?" and when people miss (what I perceive to be) EASY questions, I scoff and think (in my head) "what an idiot."

So... I need to work on myself and how I judge others. I think it's natural to judge and observe the world around you... but I wish there was a cure for this. Anyone know of anything other than to pray and be more aware and try to stop it as it's happening??? Does anyone else do this too???

Ah.... I'm off to listen to my talk radio. I can't stand Michael Savage... he's on until 10... so by the time I brush my teeth, it should be the top of the hour. My favorite time to listen to the news for the day.

>^..^<

1 comments:

WendyandRyan said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Cathy, I know I especially love learning my current events from you!! :) From you, I've realized I do need to know more about what's going on in every day life in the world.
Therapy has helped me to know that everyone is different and everyone thinks what they are doing is the right thing to do. That's why people get so passionate about breastfeeding, how they raise their kids, their marriages, etc.
I try really hard not to judge others marriages'. People only see what people want them to see. No one knows how the marriage actually functions behind closed doors. Even when someone tells you things, you are only getting their side of it. So, you are only getting their "truth". I've learned that you have to respect other people's truths because that is what they honestly feel or believe is the truth. It may not be what actually happened but it is true from their perspective.
You are my best friend and we confide in each other a lot. I respect your opinion and your honesty with me. I love you so much. I love that when we are out, we can just glance at each other and know what the other is thinking about a situation. You are a superb friend! I don't know what my life would be like had we not met. Thank goodness I'm so "social".....haha. Love you girl!! Wendy

Post a Comment