Saturday, September 17, 2011

Chocolate Covered Cherry Cake Pops

If the title of this didn't catch your attention, you must not have a sweet tooth like I do!! I'm telling you, these things were incredible!!


First of all, I got myself a cake pop maker. It saves a HUGE amount of time. To make traditional cake pops, you have to bake a cake and then tear/shred it and then add something to bind it together before you can create the "balls" that become the pops. You have to freeze/refrigerate them and it's a very long process.


With my handy-dandy cake pop maker... I just put the raw batter into the machine, let it bake for about six minutes and then take the balls out. Then they go onto a cooling rack, the fridge (optional) and then you dip and cool in the fridge. EASY-PEASY... total process took like 35 minutes before putting into the fridge to cool and set.


Here's what you need for my delicious recipe (not really mine... I found it online):
A cute little cake pop maker (doughnut hole maker)
Yep. Four ingredients

You need to get a 9 oz box of cake mix. Jiffy (made in Chelsea, MI) has the perfect sized boxes and they're found at most stores. Then you need one egg white, 1/2 cup of marichino cherry juice (I had cherries here but needed 1/2 cup of juice, so I had to buy more) and you favorite chocolate for dipping.


Cut a bunch of maraschino cherries (you can do as many as you'd like) and put off to the side

Dump the box of mix into a bowl and add the egg white and 1/2 cup of cherry juice (INSTEAD of the water that the box calls for)-- mix it really well and then add the cherries and mix again

You don't HAVE to spray your maker with PAM but it's helpful if you do... then you fill up each hole with the batter

Close the lid and let it work its magic for about six or seven minutes.
This is what the balls will look like.

Put on a cooling rack to firm up and settle

They actually firm up quite nicely pretty quickly
Melt your chocolate and start to dip each ball in the melted chocolate (I needed an entire box for 18 balls)
Place on wax paper (I put the wax paper on a small cookie sheet) and then put into the refrigerator for at least an hour to set

Absolutely delicious and super easy!

You can add a sucker stick to make it a "real" cake pop... but if it's just you eating them at home, don't waste the stick.





0 comments:

Post a Comment