Sunday, June 19, 2011

Happy Father's Day


I am dedicating this particular blog to my husband Steve.

Steve Walker is my husband and an amazing person. He makes me laugh more than anyone else that I've ever met, brings out the very best in me, and loves me for who I am on the inside. I honestly believe that he and I were made for each other and destined to be in each other's lives. Timing is everything in life, and I really believe that we found each other when the timing was spot-on perfect. We'll celebrate five years of marriage on July 8th, but today was about Steve as a father for Gus.

We had been trying to get pregnant for about four years before deciding to start the adoption process. It was as agonizing for Steve as it was for me to not be able to conceive. While all of his friends (and mine) were getting pregnant and having kids, the hurt didn't sting any less when his friends would say, "What are you waiting for? You've got to have kids!" While I'm sure they meant well enough, it still was a constant reminder of what we couldn't produce. Adoption changed all that and made his dream of being a dad a reality.

From the moment that we found out about the possibility of Gus, he was sure that it was going to happen and would be okay. While I freaked out and had my doubts, he was calm and cool, and certain that it was going to be just fine. When we walked into the hospital on May 11, 2010 to meet Gus and his birth family, I was having a panic attack while he was smiling, jovial, and very relaxed. My doubts raced and I was so worried about his birth mom's feelings, that I didn't let myself bond or attach to Gus. Steve stepped in like he and Gus knew each other for years, and he handled him like an old pro. You'd think Steve had had multiple children with how easy he took to taking care of Gus.







First doctor's appointment!



As the months have passed it's been an adjustment for all of us to go from just us to parents, to just me and Gus in MI for several weeks (leaving Steve alone here in NC for his first Father's Day). When we came home in July, it was another adjustment because Steve had gotten used to being alone and not having to deal with a newborn. 

The consistent thing has been Steve being active with Gus, playing with him, interacting with him, loving on him, and bonding with him. Gus loves Steve so very much and I am so proud of the father that Steve is. He's a natural and so in-tune with what Gus wants and needs. He changes as many diapers as I do, he feeds him, he gets up with him in the middle of the night (even when he has to work in the morning), he snuggles with him, reads with him, bathes him, dresses him, and gives Gus all the love and affection that a little boy deserves from his daddy.
July 2010

July 2010

August 2010

September 2010

September 2010

October 2010

October 2010 (Burt and his bee for Halloween)

November 2010 (6 month check up)

November 2010

December 2010

December 2010

Christmas Eve Mass 2010

Christmas Eve Mass 2010  <3

Christmas 2010

January 2011

January 2011  (Look at the love in Gus's eyes)

February 2011

February 2011 (Another doctor's appointment)

April 1st (First Hair Cut), 2011

April 15, 2011   Gus's Adoption Day!

May 2011

May 2011

May 2011

Sharing a silly moment- May 2011
 
May 2011

May 2011

June 2011

June 2011

June 2011

Father's Day 2011

To my husband, words cannot express how absolutely proud I am to be your wife. You're the most remarkable husband and extraordinary father. I appreciate how hard you work so that I can stay home with Gus and raise him. I appreciate the money you allow me to spend on things for Gus to enrich each and every day. Mostly, I appreciate the weekends when you let me sleep in, even though you yourself, never get to sleep in. You feed him, change him, and love on him all weekend long and I know part of it is to give me a break, but I think the time you have together is priceless and I know he values it as much as I do.

The most important thing a father can do for his children is to love their mother. ~Rev. Theodore Hesburgh

I think Gus is so very lucky to have a father that loves him no matter what. Regardless of what he will be when he's older, no matter who he loves, or how he identifies himself, you will love him unconditionally and will always be there to support him. You're an exceptional father.

"Fathers, like mothers, are not born. Men grow into fathers - and fathering is a very important stage in their development." -- David M. Gottesman


0 comments:

Post a Comment