Monday, May 16, 2011

Day 131

 
Today was an interesting day. Gus got up and was in a pretty good mood, but I felt sick. I could have kept sleeping and I'm sure it's from going to bed so late last night. You might have noticed that I didn't blog yesterday, so I came on earlier today when Gus was napping and did one from yesterday. Technically it's cheating, but whatever- it's my blog.  :)

I cleaned up downstairs a bit for Saturday. I don't want to clean too much because it'll just be a mess by Saturday, but I did pick up a little. I've got a lot of cloth diapers to post on hyena cart and try to sell. Hopefully I can make back some money since we didn't use ANY of the fitted ones... they're all brand new and never been used.

Gus was being a silly goose this morning when I was feeding him breakfast. He had some toast, a banana, some yogurt, and some strawberry fruit melts. I'm going grocery shopping tomorrow or Friday and will get him some real strawberries to try.

He has this new thing where he leans completely to the side and goes back and forth. It's pretty silly and I do it with him and he giggles a lot.  :)

After breakfast we played for a bit and I watched some tv. I sent this picture to Steve:
Then I changed Gus and put his one year Picky Sticky on him and took some pictures. It's becoming more and more difficult to get pictures of him... so I think for next month I'll wait until Steve is home to help me. Considering what I was working with, I think they're cute.






He kept trying to peel the sticker off his chest. It came off once and I had to stick it back on for the remainder of the pictures. After about ten minutes I had to give up because he wasn't really feeling the photo shoot anymore.  :)

We went outside and Gus played at his water table and loved it. He got himself soaked (again) but it was okay.


After we played outside for a bit I brought him in for naptime. He was super tired and slept for a bit over an hour. When he got up, we had lunch (he had mac-n-cheese, some mixed fruit, applesauce and some pizza crust). He had his well-baby appointment and after playing for a little while we headed off to Apex for his appointment.

While driving there, I witnessed an accident. I didn't see anything before it happened, but I saw (and heard) glass shattering (it sounded like someone popped a bag) from a windshield as the car totally plowed into the car in front of him. The airbag deployed and the guy was holding his head... it made me ill and was a quick reality check that accidents are called accidents for a reason. No one plans on them, and they can happen at anytime. It made me check my driving and I've decided to just keep extra distance between me and the car in front of me. If the car that hit the other car had been paying attention, and had some distance, there wouldn't have been so many cars hit (I think there were three or four).

Anyway, I was going to stop, but with Gus with me and heading to the doctor, AND I didn't see the cause, just the effect, I felt like it wouldn't make sense to stop. I saw three cars (two in front of me) pull over to help, so I didn't feel too bad driving away. 

We got to the doctor's office and we only sat for a minute. Thank goodness Wendy got me the paperwork to fill out ahead of time, it was nice to have it done when I got there. 



We used to see the nurse practitioner and LOVED her. She moved to VA though and so today we saw Dr. Johnson for the first time. I didn't like the way the nurse talked to me when she came in to get Gus's stats... and I'm pretty sure we won't be going back for any additional appointments. I'm going to call a different doctor tomorrow and see about making his 15 month appointment. This doctor is here in HS and I've heard good things... we'll see.

Gus weighs 22 pounds (only gained 1/2 a pound from March) and is at the 38th percentile. His height is 30.5 inches and is in the 74th percentile. He still has a teeny-tiny head... it's only 18 inches and the 31st percentile. He got two shots today and the doctor tried to talk me into the MMR but we're just not doing that one yet. She said there's an outbreak of measles, but not here in the USA. I guess we'll take it one visit at a time, but according to my plans... he won't get that one until he's four. We'll see. He did well though with the shots. She had to draw blood to check his hemoglobin levels and she did a finger prick... he cried and cried because she couldn't get enough blood and I had to hold him down while she squeezed his finger to make it bleed. It was horrible.

We left there and I didn't make a follow-up appointment. This is what was on our driveway when we got home:




Super cute!! We stayed outside for a bit talking to Wendy and the girls and then it was time to take Gus in to be changed and to nap. Steve got home and hung out with Gus for a bit and then took him up for a nap. When he got up, he was in a rotten mood. I think he needed longer for a nap (he slept for 30) and maybe the shots caused some crankiness. We had some cake for dessert (Wendy gave it to us for his birthday) and he liked the cake, but didn't eat much dinner.

Before his bath and bed, he wanted to snuggle with Steve. It was the perfect ending to his wonderful first birthday.

I can't believe that Gus is a year already. It makes me a little sad because he's not a baby anymore. I mean, he'll always be my baby, but technically he's now a toddler. I think about how much has changed in a year-- he couldn't even keep his eyes open on his first day, and now look at him. I look at pictures and cry because I miss how little he was. I cry even more when I look at the videos. I feel like when we adopt/have another baby, I want to really soak it all in and enjoy it... it just went by too fast.

Everyone said it would go fast... but until you're living it, you don't get it. 

It
Went
By
Super
Fast!

Heavy sigh. Gus is a little man... but one minute he looks so grown up and like a boy (not a baby) and then he's silly, snuggly, and back to being my sweet little man. I think he's got such an amazing personality and I really hope he stays as sweet as he is. I just love him so much and can't seem to get enough of him!!!

See you tomorrow!
>^..^<

0 comments:

Post a Comment