Friday, February 10, 2012

A Year of Gratitude #41

A Year of Gratitude #41: Open Adoption

I've written many posts about my thoughts, feelings, and experiences with open adoption. I think it's one of the most amazing things that I am honored to play a part in my life.

I'm so thankful for the relationship that we have with Gus's side of our family. I know I've said it before, but we really are so very fortunate to have them in our lives. 

This afternoon, a package came to our family. The outside of the box said, "Walker Family." I knew it was from Gus's side of our family because his Grammy told me to expect something yesterday or today.

I never, ever, would have predicted what was inside the box. There were multiple FRAGILE stickers all over the box and it peaked my curiosity for sure.

Immediately I saw a plastic bag with a card addressed to our family. It was a Valentine's Day card from C. There were also two stuffed frogs for Valentine's Day. One even plays music when you touch it.
Gus hugging his new loveys


Checking out the music on the one

There were packing peanuts everywhere and then as I dug around, I pulled out a rather heavy box that was taped to another box. When I untaped it, I was stunned at what I saw.
C had one of her friends (he's in art school) draw a picture of our family and then she put it in a frame for us. It's incredible. It's the picture that Adri took of us while we were at the pumpkin patch... and had been my profile picture for a really long time. It's one of my favorite family pictures.

I can't even put words to how incredibly thoughtful this gift is. C didn't have to send us anything, and to think of the thought and effort put into getting this gift to us, it's just amazing.

We are so very blessed and lucky to have the relationship that we have. C is an incredible woman and I enjoy getting to know her more and more as time goes on. Gus is so lucky to have her in his life, and to know that she cares so much about him (and us) makes me so grateful.

I don't know too many families involved with open adoption, that can say they have received something so special from their child's side of their family. I don't want to just label C as Gus's birth mother because she's so much more than that. The fact that she thought so much of us, to send us this gift is so special and meaningful.

My heart is so full and I feel so loved and thankful for all the amazing people that I have in my life.

1 comments:

will + adri said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

That is so fantastically wonderful! What a joyous treasure you'll have forever!

Post a Comment