Thursday, January 05, 2012

A Year of Gratitude #4

#4: My Brothers
Blurry- but it's Scott, me, and Dave

Anyone who reads this blog regularly should already be familiar with my family since I write about them quite often. I have a twin brother named Scott (above left) and an older brother named Dave (above right). They bring out the best in me and have made my life so very rich.
I can't fathom the concept of being an only child. I think I'd be so sad if I didn't have the two guys in my life that I am fortunate enough to call my brothers. They're so completely, I mean WORLDS, different from me, and yet, we're all three so very similar in so many odd ways.
My whole family (July 2010)


When I think about my favorite childhood memories, they include these two. They are near and dear to my heart for many reasons. I am 35 and still close with both, although I don't see either of them nearly as much as I need to/would like to. I live in Georgia and they're both in other states.

Of course, being a twin has me close to Scott for a variety of reasons. I've never known a birthday without also celebrating it with him. I've never not been a twin, so the concept of being a singleton is weird... I feel so blessed to have shared my entire life, from conception to now, with him by my side. 

At my starter wedding... goosing me (grabbing my butt)

He's got a wit and humor about him that's unsurpassed by any other. Sometimes he takes it too far, but he always knows when to stop messing with me and can always read my mood. He knows when I'm mad, upset, or sad, and has always known just what to say or not say, or do to help me get through it.


At my starter wedding 
Dave has always been the older brother that I always looked up to and idolized. It's never been fair to him, but that's what you get when you're the oldest and the coolest. :-)  He's done some incredible things in his life, and I feel so proud of everything that he does. He's brag-worthy. From his family to his career, in my eyes, he's perfect. His views on politics and religion... well, we won't go there because we're a little different in those regards, but I still respect his views and opinions and always value his reasons for believing as he does.


My mom with all of her grandchildren (as of July 2010)
I am most proud of the parents that my brothers have become. They love their children with all of their beings, and they give so much to their partners in crime. They both sacrifice for their families, and they are both loyal, honest, and trustworthy. They'd both give you the shirt of their backs if you needed it. They make sure that their kids know that they're loved and they bump the "traditional" daddy roles and are very progressive in how they take care of their kids. They change diapers, they cook meals, they have "daddy and me" time with their kiddos and they love with their entire heart. Their significant others are strong women that have helped shape my brothers into the men that they are, and have helped to bring out their sensitive sides as dads.
I'm thankful that God has allowed me to be the sister in the mix of these two guys. I'm the only sister they'll ever have, and I'm lucky to be able to say that. I used to wish that I had a sister... but I'm so thankful that I don't. I couldn't imagine who I'd be if I didn't have these two in my life.

0 comments:

Post a Comment