Monday, February 13, 2012

A Year of Gratitude #44

A Year of Gratitude #44: Wendy

I met Wendy on Halloween of 2009. Steve and I were outside our house in Holly Springs, NC, putting together our evening decorations, when Wendy came over and introduced herself. She had just moved in across the street the month before.

My first impression of her was that she talked a lot, she was feisty, and she was funny. While Steve and I were passing out candy, she came over and decided she'd just pass out candy with us, rather than sit alone on her porch.

Our friendship began that night and we always call Halloween our "Friendiversary."

Wendy invited me to come to her monthly "Girls Night Out" events in November of 2009. I decided to go and had a great time meeting her mom, sisters, and some of her friends. It was very easy to talk to her and I never felt uncomfortable around her. I went to every GNO that she had from that day on.

I was still teaching during that time (this was before Gus) and she and I didn't really see a lot of each other. I considered her a friend, but we weren't super close at all. She helped occasionally with taking care of the cats for us when we headed north, and was a great neighbor.

When Gus happened (suddenly) in May of 2010, Steve called Wendy to ask if she'd take the dogs to the vet for boarding and she did that AND MORE! She asked all her friends for clothes and toys and when we returned in July with Gus, he had so many toys and clothes!!! It was amazing. She also helped clean out our fridge so that food wouldn't spoil while we were gone (we had no idea we'd be gone for two months)!

I started staying home with Gus as soon as we returned to NC and Wendy and I started spending a lot of our days together. She was staying home with her girls, and we found that we had so much in common. 

It wasn't long before Wendy was my best friend. I could tell her anything, she never judged me, and she was my number one fan. Everyone deserves a friend like her in their life.

It was hard to move away, but I'm thankful that I had the time I had to spend with her in person. We text and call each other and it's like no time passed at all. I guess that's the sign of a solid friendship.

Today, a package came for me (and Gus) and it was filled with some candy, toys for Gus, and a framed picture of the above quote. It's so Wendy.  :-)

I'm thankful that God brought us together and let me share my life with her for the time that I did. She loves Gus as if he were her own child, she loves me like a sister, and loves Steve. She's got a heart of gold and not a vindictive bone in her body. She's one in a million, and she's my best friend. I'm thankful for having her in my life.

0 comments:

Post a Comment